The Beauty of Rammed-Earth Homes
Rammed-earth construction is no longer considered only a low-cost technique for affordable buildings and houses. Rather, it is gaining popularity for its low maintenance and energy efficient properties - and beauty. The Torcasso Residence in Santa Fe is an elegant example of the possibilities of the rammed-earth building technique.
The Wall Street Journal takes a look at four stunning homes in an article which explores the aesthetics of this ancient but resurging construction method. WSJ reporter Amy Gamerman interviewed owners, designers and builders, including Page Senior Principal Larry Speck and his client, Rick Torcasso, about how their luxury homes were designed and built.
You may read the entire article, which includes a video of the homes, here.
"Rammed-Earth Luxury Homes" by Amy Gamerman. Wall Street Journal, 4/3/15.
- Page Reveals Design Niche: Luxury Residences
- Torcasso Residence in Santa Fe
- Torcasso Residence Reveals its "Subtle Layers" in Texas Architect Magazine
- Rammed Earth Construction is Cool Again (and Hot)
- Four Page Projects Bring Home SARA Awards
- 2400 Nueces Wins Green Award
- Materials Matter: Identifying & Promoting Healthy Choices